WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
Semi wrecks and other big truck accidents can involve tremendous force and cause devastating injury or death. The injuries caused by a truck accident can change your life and your family’s life for years into the future. The full consequences of the accident may not always be clear in the beginning.
TRUCK ACCIDENTS, TRACTOR TRAILERS & OTHER LARGE TRUCKS
After the crash you may need:
- Emergency medical services.
- Doctor’s care.
- Physical therapy
- Other care.
Your accident may cause:
- Medical expenses.
- Problems getting medical care.
- Lost work time and lost income.
- Money problems due to ongoing living and medical expenses while your income is reduced.
After your doctors have done as much as possible, you may have:
- Pain and suffering for years into the future.
- Years of medical bills and drug expenses.
- Reduced earnings because you are unable to do the job you had when hurt.
THE FIRM UNDERSTANDS HOW TRUCK ACCIDENTS AND THE INJURIES THEY CAUSE CAN CHANGE LIVES.
While you are trying to deal with your injury or injuries from the accident, the trucking company and/or insurance company may be:
- Investigating the wreck.
- Visiting and photographing the accident scene.
- Fixing the truck involved, so that evidence of damage to the truck and other conditions can be harder to get.
- Falsifying or destroying important documents.
- Investigating and conducting surveillance of you.
These actions protect the interests of the trucking company and/or insurance company involved. They are not done for your benefit.
While you are healing, steps need to be taken to protect your interests. Having a lawyer involved in your case soon after the wreck can be very important. As your attorneys, we can investigate the truck accident and try to preserve important evidence. For example, the damaged vehicles may need to be photographed, if possible, before they are repaired.
TRUCK ACCIDENTS ARE DIFFERENT THAN OTHER INJURY CASES.
They may require specialized knowledge of:
- Insurance requirements for trucks.
- Federal regulations.
- Rules specific to truck drivers.
OUR FIRM IS EXPERIENCED IN RECOVERING DAMAGES FOR PEOPLE INJURED IN TRUCK ACCIDENTS.
When your claim is submitted, the insurance company, trucking company or driver may:
- Deny responsibility in cases of obvious fault.
- Refuse to negotiate.
- Drag their feet, in some cases, for years.
- File bankruptcy.
- Make lowball settlement offers.
- Make settlement offers which seem reasonable but do not fully compensate you for past and future losses.
The FIRM has access to:
- Experts regarding trucking company operations and practices.
- Vocational experts to evaluate your vocational losses.
- Economics experts to calculate future medical expenses, lost income and reduced earnings ability over your lifetime.
The FIRM can often get important information for use in your case including:
- The driving record of the driver involved in your wreck.
- Other information about the driver.
- Rules the driver was required to follow.
- Safety data about the trucking company involved.
- Information about other crashes the company’s trucks were in.
- Information about the trucking company’s insurance.
- Studies of how trucking company practices affect safety.
- Motor carrier regulations.
- Computer database of documents used in trucking cases.
- Computer database of federal and state court decisions and laws.
- Other useful information.
Good results in these cases may require filing a lawsuit and in some cases going to trial.
EXPERIENCED IN HANDLING CASES IN BOTH STATE AND FEDERAL COURTS.
Many cases are filed in the court system operated by the state or “state court.” However, in some cases it may be better to file your case in the court system operated by the United States Government or “federal court.” In other cases, even though your case is filed in state court, the insurance company or trucking company has the option to take or “remove” the case from state court to federal court. Handling a case in federal court is often different than handling a case in state court. It may involve more deadlines, technical rules, exacting requirements and greater demands on the lawyer.
Having an attorney experienced and confident in handling cases in federal court can be important. We are experienced in handling accident cases in federal court.
THE FIRM HAS RECOVERED DAMAGES FOR THE INJURED PERSON IN EVERY TRACTOR-TRAILER ACCIDENT CASE WE HAVE HANDLED.
IF YOU HAVE BEEN INJURED BY A TRACTOR-TRAILER OR OTHER LARGE TRUCK CALL US!